Construction Safety & Health Technician
The Construction Safety and Health Technician is responsible for identifying specific hazards on project sites, developing strategies to minimize risk and communicating specific strategies with the project teams and subcontractors.
The Construction Safety and Health Technician is responsible for facilitating continuous improvement in the Company’s safety culture, performance, policies, and practices. This includes ensuring the Company is using best practices, bringing innovation to processes, work, and systems, and incorporating new ideas from other industries into the Company’s approach.
This position is a salaried entry level full-time position or hourly pay for internship and reports directly to the Vice President, Safety.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Construction Safety and Health Technician is responsible for:
- Assisting the Safety Department in the development of and clearly articulating the Company’s safety vision, philosophy, objectives, strategies, policies, and procedures to build a safety culture dedicated to behaviors which lead to industry leading results.
- Analyzing jobsites and blueprints to help anticipate problems & provide solutions
- Assisting with the coordination of training to all levels of management, field staff, preconstruction, and project teams.
- Interacting with clients, subcontractors, and inspectors as a team player to build a strong safety culture.
- Constantly engaging with field workers, including subcontractors, to build an interactive relationship.
- Advising, educating, consulting, recommending, and proposing safety solutions to the superintendent and project manager.
- Proactively planning and executing the safety solutions with the strategies based on leading indicators.
- Effectively providing safety performance evaluation based on analytical data sourced from both leading and lagging indicators
- Effectively integrating the field safety in many approaches – Risk based critical thinking, behavioral safety, cultural safety, circumstantial/situational safety, compliance perspective, etc.
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions and conclusions, and monitors results to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Ensuring safety & health training meet the needs of internal and external (client & regulating entities) requirements, so staff has the safety training to safely perform tasks and jobs.
- Leading incident investigations.
- Managing hazard assessment activities by conducting and/or supervising safety inspections and analyzing inspection and incident data to identify opportunities to develop preventive and corrective practices.
- Inspecting active project sites to evaluate ongoing work conditions to guarantee compliance
Qualifications & Required Skills
The Construction Safety and Health Technician should have a college degree or be pursuing a degree in the Occupational Safety & Health field. Technical knowledge of construction related OSHA, federal, state, and local regulatory standards, and the ability to recognize hazardous situations and implement effective corrective practices are required. The Construction Safety and Health Technician must be an effective communicator, generating professional written material and delivering effective verbal presentations.
The Construction Safety and Health Technician must be able to handle confidential/sensitive information with discretion. A valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record, background check, and clean drug test result is required. The Construction Safety and Health Technician must be able to meet physical requirements of the job including the ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, the ability to climb ladders, and negotiate construction work areas. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs. US Citizenship required.
In addition to the functions listed above, the employee is expected to: strive to exhibit and apply Buch Construction values, exercise honesty, integrity and respect with all clients and co-workers, maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, demonstrate a positive attitude, communicate effectively with co-workers and clients, work with accuracy, efficiency, and attention to detail, maintain good attendance by working when and where directed, work safely in compliance with all safety policies, respect the work environment and keep it as neat and clean as possible, and exercise initiative to learn new skills and tasks and to help co-workers when possible. The employee is also expected to perform such other duties and functions as required from time to time.
- Must be motivated to achieving safety goals within a teamwork environment.
- Must enjoy working on numerous tasks of differing types in an atmosphere of many changing agendas from project owners, subcontractors, suppliers and Buch personnel.
- Timeliness and a teamwork attitude.
- A high focus on client satisfaction, always focusing on the quality of work being performed.
- Displays a strong sense of ownership and a “can do” attitude.
Laurel, MD – Servicing the Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD Metropolitan and surrounding Mid-Atlantic and Southeast Regions
Full-Time for all locations, and candidates who are willing to travel should clearly identify that ability on their application and/or resume.
Please email resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org